"I like YOUR coffee best" insists DH. I developed this mixture as a copycat of Starbuck's Caramel Macchiato, but using my half-caffeinated, half-decaffeinated coffee mix (I use Chock Full O' Nuts decaf and ground Starbucks French Roast). I buy Swiss Miss No-Sugar-Added Cocoa in bulk when Costco puts it on sale at the end of the season. I squeeze the caramel topping for 5 counts for DH and 3 counts for me. When I can't find hazelnut flavored syrup, I use the vanilla flavor; we miss that flavor accent if I omit it. This recipe fills one 18-to-20-ounce travel mug. You can top with whipped cream if you wish to make a special presentation (that may be how we made it past our third date!).
- 18 ounces cold water
- 1⁄4 cup ground decaffeinated coffee
- 1⁄4 cup ground coffee, preferably French Roast
- 5⁄8 ounce Swiss Miss diet cocoa mix (1 package Swiss Miss No-Sugar-Added Cocoa)
- 1⁄2-1 tablespoon caramel ice cream topping
- 1 teaspoon fat-free half-and-half (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar-free hazelnut syrup (hazelnut or vanilla flavor)
- sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- Put water in drip coffee maker.
- Put ground coffee in filter in coffee maker. Push button. Let drip.
- Meanwhile, in an 18-to-20-ounce travel mug, pour in 1 packet of Swiss Miss No-Sugar-Added cocoa.
- If you have a sweet tooth, squeeze about 1 tablespoon of Smuckers Caramel ice cream topping (count of 5) on top of cocoa. Otherwise, add about 1/2 tablespoon of the caramel topping (count of 3).
- (Optional:) Add a splash of fat-free half-and-half on top of the caramel topping. It was approximately 1 teaspoon. This is optional; it makes the coffee taste richer.
- Add a tiny amount of hazelnut or vanilla flavored sugar syrup. I measured this to be about 1/4 teaspoon. Don't overdo it, it's better as a mysterious accent.
- Pour in prepared coffee. Stir well with knife to make sure all the cocoa mix has dissolved.
- (Optional:) Top with whipped cream if you don't put the lid on and you want to impress.