Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is from: http://www.topsecretrecipes.com. We don't have Carl Jr's around here but figured that they must be good if someone is trying to copycat them. I wasn't disappointed! Love the ranch dressing! I used a chicken fryer skillet rather than a deep fryer.
- 4 chicken breast fillets
- 4 hamburger buns with sesame seeds
- 4 leaves lettuce
- 4 slices tomatoes
- 4 slices kraft swiss cheese
- 8 slices bacon, cooked
- 6 -8 cups vegetable shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon parsley
- 1⁄8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash garlic
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- 1 dash dill weed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 2 teaspoons hot water
- Preheat 6-8 cups of shortening in a deep fryer to 350 degrees or use a deep chicken fryer skillet adding 2” of shortening.
- To prepare the ranch dressing, combine all of the ingredients except the water and gelatin in small bowl.
- Mix the water with the gelatin in a small cup until all of the gelatin is dissolved.
- Add this gelatin solution to the other ingredients and stir.
- Cover and chill the dressing until it's needed (I like to prepare the day before so flavors blend).
- Beat the egg and then combine with 1 cup water in a small, shallow bowl.
- Combine the flour, salt, onion powder and garlic powder in another shallow bowl.
- Pound each of the breast fillets with a mallet until about 1/4-inch thick.
- Working with one fillet at a time, first coat each fillet with the flour, then dredge it in the egg and water mixture.
- Coat the chicken once again in the flour and set it aside until all of the fillets have been breaded.
- Fry the chicken fillets until light brown and crispy.
- As chicken is frying, prepare each sandwich by grilling the face of the hamburger buns on a hot skillet over medium heat.
- Spread about 1 1/2 teaspoons of the ranch dressing on the face of the top and bottom buns.
- On the bottom bun, stack a leaf of lettuce and a tomato slice.
- When the chicken is done frying, remove the fillets from the fryer and drain them on paper towels or a rack for a couple of minutes.
- Stack one fillet onto the bottom of the sandwich (onto the tomato), then stack a slice of the Swiss cheese onto the chicken.
- Arrange the bacon, crosswise, on top of the Swiss cheese, then top off the sandwich with the top bun.
- Repeat the stacking process for each of the remaining sandwiches.
A great sandwich. I buttered and sprinkled the buns and toasted in a skillet for an even better sandwich. In Florida, we used to get a similar sandwich at a place called Calico Jack's.
Excellent, I will make it again!
This recipe was created by Todd Wilbur. It is published in his book entitled "Even More Top Secret Recipes". www.topsecretrecipes.com