2 hrs 45 mins
Vitameatavegamin Girl's Note:
This is the recipe for The Hitching Post's coveted grilled artichokes, courtesy the chef and owner Frank Ostini. The sauce is time-consuming, but I think they're wonderful even without the sauce if you don't feel like making it. It also makes a lot of sauce so you may want to cut it in half if you're only making 4 artichokes. The cook and prep time include the mayonnaise sauce. BTW- Cutting the artichokes in half and cutting out the choke BEFORE steaming them, makes the process go a lot faster! And the faster you steam 'em, the faster you can grill 'em and eat 'em!!! =)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Artichokes
For the Artichoke Basting Sauce
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- kosher salt (or Garlic Salt is good, too!)
- fresh ground black pepper
Spicy Smoked Tomato Mayonnaise
- 1Preheat an outdoor grill to medium heat.
- 2Break off the artichokes' small outside leaves. Cut off the top with a knife and trim the sharp points of the leaves with scissors, rubbing with cut lemon as you go to avoid discoloration. Cut the artichokes in half and also rub with lemon to avoid discoloration. Squeeze the lemon halves into a bowl of cold water, soak the artichokes for 10 minutes, then wash with cold water to remove sand.
- 3Place artichokes in a large steamer insert over simmering water and steam until heart is tender, about 25 to 35 minutes depending upon size.
- 4Allow to cool then remove choke with a spoon.
- 5Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter with the olive oil. Stir in the white wine and lemon juice, keep warm.
- 6Grill the artichokes, basting with the butter mixture, until golden on the surface and heated through, about 5 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with the Spicy Smoked Tomato Mayonnaise.
- 7Instructions to make the Spicey Smoked Tomato Mayonnaise:.
- 8Special equipment: smoker/dehydrator.
- 9Chef's Note: If you do not have access to a smoker/dehydrator, you can substitute 4 sun-dried tomatoes and 2 teaspoons ancho or pasilla powder for the tomatoes and pasillas, eliminating the tomatoes and pasilla peppers from the recipe.
- 10Dry the tomatoes and pasilla peppers in an oak smoker/dehydrator overnight.
- 11Preheat an outdoor grill, preferably wood fired with oak wood, for indirect heat cooking.
- 12Wrap garlic and onions loosely in 2 separate foil packets and roast/grill over indirect heat until they are soft, being careful not to burn them. The garlic should take about 1 to 1 1/2 hours; the onions should take about 30 to 45 minutes.
- 13In a food processor, puree the smoked pasilla peppers and tomatoes with the garlic and onions. Add the cayenne, chili powder, paprika and salt. Mix in the mayonnaise. Leftover mayonnaise will keep, refrigerated, for up to 3 or 4 days.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Copycat Hitching Post Grilled Artichokes
Serving Size: 1 (241 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 836.3
- Calories from Fat 590
- Total Fat 65.5 g
- Saturated Fat 15.0 g
- Cholesterol 61.0 mg
- Sodium 1375.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.2 g
- Sugars 11.9 g
- Protein 9.3 g