Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
The secret is to let the chicken sit in the marinade overnight. Slice the meat as thin as you can for the right effect.
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon savory
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 chicken breasts
- 4 teaspoons light butter, spread
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- In a bowl combine all ingredients for the marinade.
- Add the chicken breasts and let sit overnight (or at least several hours).
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Remove chicken from marinade and onto a foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, or until fully cooked.
- When cool enough to handle, slice as thin as you can with a knife or meat slicer.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat.
- Put butter flavored spread onto inside of buns.
- Grill buns until lightly browned.
- To make sandwich, place 1/4 of chicken onto bottom of buns, spread mayonnaise onto tops.
- Spread lettuce on top of chicken then tomato slices and place top on the sandwich.
- Enjoy warm.
The chicken was so juicy and delicious. I added more onion powder by mistake, but it was a good mistake. Just excellent
These sandwiches were very tasty and a nice change from most of the mayo-based chicken salads one usually finds. The chicken is very tender and not at all dry. I made these for a hiking lunch with added caramelized onions under the chicken for an extra flavor zap. They really hit the spot and were a hit with both me and my hiking partner. I'll make this one again. Thanks!
I've made this in my crockpot twice in the last week using 2 bone-in chicken breasts, pouring the marinade over top and cooking it on low for 8 hours. Delicious! The first time I finely chopped the meat and mixed it with avocado, mayo, green onion, etc. to make chicken salad sandwiches. The second time I served the chicken breasts for dinner along with a veggie casserole. It's great because even though I cooked the chicken in the crockpot it came out tasting like rotisserie or roasted chicken with a very nice taste and very tender.