Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This cream soup substitute has less calories, fat and sodium than your canned ones from the store.
Make and share this Creamed Soup Substitute recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups powdered milk
- 3⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup instant chicken bouillon
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Combine all ingredients, mix well and store in an air-tight container.
- To Prepare one can of substitute----------------.
- Stir together 1/3 cup dry mix and 1 1/4 cups water in a saucepan.
- Cook and stir until thickened.
- This will substitute for one can of condensed cream soup in your recipes.
What a great recipe find! I like the light flavor of the generic soup, which allows you to flavor it to match the recipe you need it in. I sauted chopped mushrooms and added to the mix for a great cream of mushroom base. I then used it as a cover for baked pork chops - good stuff!!
What a great resource! This gives us far more versatility in the kitchen than having to shop for or stock each indifidual soup variation. Shelf-stable make-your-own stuff is a lifeline for budget-conscious cooks. Thanks!
This is fantastic!!! It is nice to find an alternative to the red and white can that is not only gluten free, but frugal to boot!!! I always appreciate recipes that take a commercial product full of preservatives and what=nots and break it down to it simplest form!