Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Driving through Louisiana in 1953, Troy Smith happened upon a cozy hamburger stand that had installed an intercom system to speed up ordering. Troy adapted the idea for his small chain of burger joints and hired nimble servers to quickly bring food out to customers. The concept was a smash, with revenues for the chain doubling during the first week. Sonic was cashing in on the growing popularity of the automobile. Hungry patrons parked their cars in a stall, rolled down the window, and ordered from a two-way speaker box. The food was quickly brought out to the car on a tray by a roller-skating carhop with excellent balance.
- 1⁄4 lb ground beef
- 1 large plain white hamburger bun
- melted butter
- ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 6 -10 canned jalapeno slices (nacho slices)
- 1⁄3 cup chopped lettuce
- Shape the ground beef into a thin circle the same diameter as the bun. Cover the patty with wax paper and freeze it.
- When you're ready to prepare the burger, preheat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Spray some butter spray or spread a thin layer of melted butter on the faces of the top and bottom bun. Lightly brown the faces of the bun in the skillet, then remove them and set them aside.
- Grill the beef patty in the skillet, and lightly sprinkle it with salt and pepper. Cook the beef for 3 to 4 minutes per side until done.
- As the patty cooks, build the burger by first spreading the mustard over the face of the bottom bun.
- Arrange the jalapeno slices on the mustard.
- Arrange the lettuce on the sandwich next.
- When the beef is ready, stack it on top of the other condiments, and top off the sandwich with the top bun. If you'd like the sandwich hotter, microwave it on high for 10 to 15 seconds.
Tried this burger along with the Sonic burger #123785. Don't recall if they had a jalapeno burger in the late 1960's. I toasted the bun on the grill where I cooked the burger and put a lid on top to steam them so it would be more like the way they use to fix them. The only thing missing was the cherry limeade to bad they started fixing it with Sprite. Thanks Dropbear. Bullwinkle