Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is for Rise, who loves the chicken served at Applebees. I hope you like this just as well! :)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large portabella mushroom caps, stems removed
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons onions, very finely diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 6 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Trim fat and sinew from chicken breasts; pound to 1/2" thickness.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in large saute pan; cook chicken breasts about 5-6 minutes per side, or until nicely browned and cooked through; set aside and keep warm.
- Slice mushrooms into pieces about 3/8" thick; have ready to saute.
- Add mushrooms and cook until mushrooms become tender, 5 minutes or so, adding a little more butter if necessary; add rosemary just as mushrooms are becoming done.
- Stir in dry sherry and cook for 30 seconds or so, stirring up any bits from bottom of pan; add the cream, half the parsley, the black pepper, and cook for 30- 45 seconds more, until warmed through.
- Note: this sauce has sliced mushrooms in it, but if you prefer a creamier sauce, simply use a hand blender and puree the sauce in the pan and strain if desired, or pour it carefully into a blender and do the same.
- To serve, place chicken on serving plate and spoon creamy rosemary sauce over chicken.
Okay, I've now made a convert of my b/f who loves everything I've made from the 'Zaar. We made this for dinner the other night and really liked it! I'm afraid that with the side dishes I was making and everything coming to a head at one time, I didn't exactly measure the sherry - so sue me - but it came out perfectly, anyway. We had it with brown rice and the combination of flavors was yummy. Thanks for the great new favorite!
Can I just say, OH MY!!?? This recipe is SOOOO good! I won't change a thing (and I nearly always tweak a new recipe if I make it again--and I *WILL* be making this again!) All during dinner my husband and I were making jokes about distracting each other so we could steal more off each other's plate.
I've never had the chicken at Applebee's (I've never even been there), but I cannot believe that it would top this recipe. The portobello cream sauce was wonderful - just the right combination of flavors. I thought the mushroom slices were too large to easily saute, so I chopped them into smaller pieces. They may not have been as attractive as if I had left them whole, but I didn't have to be so careful when sauteing. I served the chicken and sauce with short grain brown rice - a great combination - and sprinkled the plates with the remaining 1 tablespoon chopped parsley. The only modification I would make is to season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper after they are finished cooking. The chicken was a little bland despite the sauce, but perked up sufficiently with the later addition of salt and freshly ground pepper. (I may not have added the full amount of pepper when cooking the sauce; it's hard to guage how much pepper comes out of my grinder.) I am adding this recipe to my regular rotation!