Copycat recipe found at allrecipes. I could go to Schloztky's and be happy with a bread sandwich - can't wait to try this!
- In a small bowl stir together the warm water, sugar, and yeast. Stir to dissolve and set aside.
- In a large bowl dissolve baking soda with the 1 1/2 teaspoons warm water. Add the warm milk, salt, and one cup of the flour. Beat with a wire whisk until smooth. Beat in yeast mixture and remaining flour. Batter should be thick, sticky, and smooth.
- Prepare 2 pie pans with non-stick spray. Dust pans with cornmeal. Place 1/2 dough in each pie pan. Batter will spread during rising time. Spray top of dough with non-stick cooking spray. Cover and let rise for one hour.
- Repeat spraying of bread with non-stick cooking spray. Bake in a preheated 375 degree F (190 degrees C) for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool for an hour before slicing.
Made especially for sandwiches but forgot my husband's point of a sandwich is covering every inch of bread with meat so that you forget you're eating bread.
I love this bread, it is fantastic for sandwiches. I like to make this in 2 small rectangular casserole dishes instead of pie pans. The pie pans seem a little too large for sandwiches for my taste. This way I cut them in half lengthwise and its perfect. Also it seems like if the dough is a little wet that the bread ends up being more even instead of rising high in the middle. Try this recipe if you enjoy this type of bread. Yummy!